Thyme Red – Thymus Vulgaris – Thymol 10mls
Red Thyme Essential Oil is the stronger of than other thyme oils. This oil has a wide spectrum of medicinal uses. Thyme is a perennial aromatic herb with small green-grey leaves and violet or white flowers. It belongs to the Lamiaceae family. Red Thyme essential oil produced by steam distillation of the flowering tops and leaves, creating produces reddish colour oil.
The ancient Greeks, Egyptians and Romans used Thyme as a medicinal herb. The Greeks used it as incense and the Egyptians as part of the embalming process. Thyme as a used as symbol of bravery and hence presented to jousting knights in the Middle ages. People carried Thyme into early courtrooms believing it would protect them against diseases such as yellow fever.
In comparison with Carbolic acid, Thyme oil is seven times stronger and therefore employed in hospitals as a disinfectant.
Medical dressings for surgery were soaked in Thyme oil, a process continued up until the First World War.
Today Aromatherapists use Red Thyme in support of convalescent clients, with a bonus of preventing any further infections. Care must be taken as it is chemicaly more aggressive than Sweet or White Thyme with a much higher percent of toxic phenols. Consequently Red Thyme is advocated for use only by experienced Professional Aromatherapists.
Properties antifungal, antibactercidal, anti-viral, circulatory stimulant
Used to treat :
- Fatigue, stimulates immune system , increase energy, use in Aromatherapy Massage
- Inhalation for blocked sinuses & other respiratory problems.
- In a diffuser to kill germs/viruses in the atmosphere.
- Stiff joints & muscular aches, pains, cramps. Warming effect
- Acne, cellulite, eczema, bruising. More powerful antibacterial effect than benzoyl peroxide.
- Stimulates the mind boost to the senses and memory
Avoid during pregnancy and if suffering from high blood pressure.
A strong mucous membrane irritant.
Avoid on sensitive skin, with children and the elderly.